Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Halloween Costumes (Elsa-inspired tutu gown DIY) - I can totally make those... (Part 1)

So this year, I fell victim to the inspirational abyss that is Pinterest, specifically: DIY Halloween costumes. I found an adorable tutu gown costume I was sure would be the winner for my 3 and a half year old (Honeybee). I asked Honeybee what she wanted to be (already knowing what she would say) & of course, I received my answer: "Elsa, Mommy!!"  So I turned my iPad around with a big smile on my face to show her the pin of her dreams (specifically, this "Ice Queen" dress tutorial from the Hairbow Company).  As I expected, she loved it and had every confidence I would have her dress ready in just a few short hours.  

Ok, I can do this. I've made tutus before; it's just tying tulle in little knots. No biggie.  Honeybee even had one I made for her first birthday. 

This is where my lack of craft experience came in to bite me - umm, where do I find all the supplies? How much should I buy? How did they get it to look like it's straight from the Disney costume department? But, I remained undeterred. I went to the craft store looking for large crocheted headbands (because the post so confidently just told me to use one, obviously, they must be stocked in every color in every size in mass quantities, right??) No. Seriously, none of the craft stores in my town sold them.  I did however find plenty of tulle options (and spent way too much money on glittery teal tulle that ended up being completely unused, bummer.) 

So Plan B - I can totally still do this.  That's why the internet exists.  Off I go to an awesome (and affordable) site with lots of accessories and craft supplies for accessories and I order a large teal tutu top/ headband.  And, because it's so affordable, I might as well buy several others in varying colors and sizes (for the record, I have no plans for these supplies; but the savings are hard for me to resist).  

Success!  The tops come, they fit, and then I realize there is such a thing as a lined crochet tutu top... well, crud. For my purposes, I decided it doesn't matter since I will make Honeybee wear a shirt under her gown anyway (Halloween in Illinois is not a sleeveless affair).  At this point, my minimal level of tutu making experience kicked in and I was able to work on the project over a couple of days (total time: approximately 4 hours).

Luckily, her costume was actually a verifiable success.  It fits her nicely, looks cute and, most importantly, Honeybee loves it!  Yay!  I'm a crafting success.  I can totally do this.




Now... don't I have another child around here somewhere?


No comments:

Post a Comment